Know Before You Go - Summer Bobsleigh
Summer Bobsleigh Checklist - Are You Ready to Ride?
- Are you 12 years old or over?
(12 and 13 year-olds will need to ride positioned in front of a parent or guardian in the sled. The ratio is 1:1, one adult for every child.)
- Will you have a parent or guardian present when checking in at the Whistler Sliding Centre (participants under 19 years only)?
- Do you weigh between 85lb (39kg) and 285lb (129kg)?
- Are you between 4’6” (137cm) and 6’5” (196cm) in height?
- Do you have the physical dexterity to be able to strongly grip the sides of the bobsleigh?
- Are you in good general health?
If you have answered “no” to any of the above, unfortunately, you will be unable to participate in our summer bobsleigh activity due to health and safety guidelines.
- Do you suffer from any heart conditions?
- Do you have any previous head, neck or back injuries?
- Are you or could you be pregnant?
- Do you have osteoporosis?
We do not recommend taking part in our summer bobsleigh activity if you are pregnant or suffer from a heart condition or any chronic, recent, or severe head, neck or back injuries or osteoporosis. This is due to the pressure (g-forces) put on the body during the ride which may aggravate these conditions, or in the case of osteoporosis cause compression fractures. The potential risks include but are not limited to motion sickness, bumps, bruises, abrasions, head, neck and back injuries, sprains or broken bones.
Session schedule: What should you expect?
Before you arrive, please fill in your online waiver for a smooth check-in process (waiver link here and in your confirmation email). Please check in at the Guest Services building 10-15 minutes prior to your session start time. Those who are not checked in at session start time will not be permitted to slide. Operations may be further modified for operational or regulatory reasons.
Check In & Briefing (Approx. 15 Mins)
- Waiver check
- Weight & height check
- Briefing about session
- Shuttle to Top Start in groups
Exclusive Track Walk & Ride (Approx. 1 Hour)
- Group track walk tour (downhill) to start point
- Helmet fitting + safety orientation
- Summer bobsleigh ride with a trained pilot
Results & Photo (Approx. 15 Mins)
- Photo with your team
- Find out your top speed and time
- Opportunity to purchase your ride video
Frequently Asked Questions & More
Whilst riding you will be feeling g-forces of several times your body weight pushing down on your body, speeds of around 90 km/h, and the ride can be strenuous as it is a real sport experience. Before the ride, please ensure that you meet all physical requirements outlined above under “Checklist: Are you ready for Summer Bobsleigh?”.
For Your Own Safety You Must Also:
- Have a basic understanding of English & the cognitive ability to understand/follow instructions.
- Not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Not be taking any medication that could impair judgement or physical dexterity to your session start time.
What To Bring/Wear?
- Comfortable clothing
- Tie back long hair
- Remove loose jewelry
- Body-mounted cameras are not permitted
- Own helmets are not permitted; must wear Whistler Sliding Centre helmet.
*The Whistler Sliding Centre does not take responsibility for loss, theft or damage of personal belongings.
Family and friends are welcome to come and watch your session from the track’s public areas! All spectators must follow track safety procedures. No flash photography. Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times.
What Will Happen If I Am Over The Weight Or Height Limit?
Unfortunately, if you do not meet our weight and height requirements you will not be able to participate, so we recommend ensuring you are within the limits before arriving at the centre to avoid disappointment.
Do I Have To Sign An Activity Waiver?
Yes, you will have to complete a waiver for yourself and any dependants under 19 years of age participating in the ride. For a smooth check-in process, please fill in our online waiver before you arrive (go to waiver here or through your booking confirmation). If guests have issues signing the waiver before they arrive, they can sign it on our tablets when they get here.
If I Am Under 19, Can I Bring A Letter Of Consent From My Parent Or Guardian?
Unfortunately we do not accept those, we need a parent or guardian present at the time of check-in.
What Are The Rules Around Photography/Video/Point Of View Cameras?
Participants are permitted to bring their camera devices at own risk, however during the ride those have to be zipped up in a pocket (or left outside the sled). For your safety, we do not permit the use of body-mounted cameras, handheld devices or selfie sticks whilst sliding. Flash photography is not permitted along the track. A video of your ride, recorded from cameras mounted on your sled, is available for purchase!
How Do I Get To The Whistler Sliding Centre?
All access options and directions are available here. There is free parking for guests at the Whistler Sliding Centre.
What Is The Cancellation Policy?
- You may cancel your booking up to 24 hours prior to your booked activity time to receive a full refund. Cancellations made within 24 hours of the booked activity time as well as no-shows are subject to a 100% charge.
- In the event that a session is cancelled (at the discretion of the Whistler Sliding Centre) participants will have the choice of a full refund or re-scheduling.